For people living in small spaces, studio apartments and dorms, one of the biggest concerns is always space. The struggle is to find compact appliances that work in the best possible way and accommodate anywhere in the house. Buying a compact vacuum cleaner for small spaces isn’t an easy task either. Just like all other appliances, you certainly wish to buy a vacuum cleaner that saves money, time and appears to be efficient in its job, right? To make your job easier, we’ve drafted a buying guide and compiled some of the best vacuums for small spaces. Have a look at them and see if you find any one of them a feasible choice.
How to buy the right vacuum for small spaces?
There are many different types of vacuum cleaners available in the market. So how is each one different?
Upright vacuum cleaners are useful for deep cleaning and powerful suction. They are bigger, heavier and suitable for large houses and families. Canister vacuums consists of a tank and a wand that take away all the dust and particles from tough corners and heights. They are light in weight but the canister shapes require a bit of wide space to be stored. Stick vacuum cleaners do not have a powerful suction but reasonable good for quick cleaning. They take less space and can be hanged on any wall. Handheld vacuum cleaners are a grab-and-go choice for frequent movers. They are handy, lightweight and multipurpose. You can place or store them anywhere in the house. We also have a few the ever growing in popularity robot vacuums for you to consider.
Bagless or with the bag?
A bagged vacuum cleaner contains a disposable bag which you can remove and throw away. However bagless or canister vacuum cleaners include a non-disposable, reusable tank that needs to be emptied and cleaned every time it is full. If you are allergic to dust or suffer from asthma, a bagged vacuum cleaner is a safer and hygienic choice.
Cordless or corded?
You may also want to choose whether you want a rechargeable, battery run vacuum cleaner or one that has a long cord and operate on direct electricity. Cordless vacuum cleaners are light in weight, easily moveable and can be used from 15-60 minutes in one time (depending on the battery and brand). Corded vacuum cleaners, on the other hand, have a powerful suction, do better cleaning but their long cord can easily snuggle in between your legs or around your furniture.
If you don’t have a high budget and perhaps looking for a pocket-friendly vacuum cleaner, Hoover is one of the options. It’s powerful, light in weight and compact in size to fit into a dorm, studio apartment or small house. It features a powered brush roll with cyclonic technology that makes cleaning hard floors and soft rugs convenient and hassle-free. The extreme recline handle and 20-foot power cord allows you to reach far under the sofa, bed and other furniture with no stress on your back.
HOOVER is so powerful that users say the edge cleaning bristles not only remove the dirt on the edges of your carpet and rugs but can also chew the tassels on them. You’d find non-marring wheels on the bottom that make HOOVER portable and allow you to steer and manoeuvre the machine all around the house.
- An affordable choice within $100
- Works well on pet hair
- The convenient and flexible shape head easily slides under any bed or sofa for storage
- Detachable head makes cleaning clogs easy
- Consists of a 20-feet long power cord that can vacuum large rooms easily
- Filters are easy to wash, rinse and re-use
- Not very good on thick rugs and carpets
- Loses suction easily
- The small dirt cup needs to be emptied again and again
If you have a small space that gets messy and dirty almost daily, Bissell Lightweight 3-in-1 Corded Lightweight Stick Vacuum is what you need. This lightweight stick gives powerful suction on carpets, rugs and hard floors. It comes as a handy and portable package. You can use it as a stick vacuum and manoeuvre around the house, remove the handle and use the foot for stairs or simply remove both the handle and foot and use it as a hand vacuum to clean the dirt and residues.
Unlike Hoover, Bissell doesn’t come with a roller brush but yet gives powerful suction on floors and sucks all the pet hair, residues, sand and dirt. In a reasonable price, this version of Bissell is not a fancy vacuum cleaner with any accessories and attachments, but a simple machine that takes less space and brings convenience to your lifestyle.
- Suitable to be used daily
- Works best on hard surfaces likes floorboards etc.
- Super light to be taken from one place to another
- Reasonable in price
- Wobbly and weak wheels
- Doesn’t have a long cord, only 15 feet long that restricts the users.
- Makes disturbing loud noise.
- No specialized pet attachments included
3. Shark Rocket DuoClean Ultra-Light Corded Bagless Vacuum for Carpet and Hard Floor with Lift-Away Hand Vacuum (HV382), Charcoal
Shark products are a one-time investment that lasts long due to its quality products, warrant and added features. One prime example is the DuoClean Ultra-light vacuum cleaner. DuoClean Technology contains a bristle brush and soft brush roll that not only deep cleans carpets but also suck particles and polish floors to give your house finesse.
Unlike other vacuum cleaners, Shark Rocket DuoClean comes with customized attachments for all purposes. This includes a pet-multi tool, interchangeable roller brushes, and a hair removal tool. The LED lights on the floor nozzle are a special feature that helps you see the hidden dust particles and dirt for spick and span floors. Shark Rocket is light in weight therefore, it is easy to manoeuvre around the house and carry along wherever you shift.
- Easy to switch power levels
- Includes customized attachments
- Easy to dump and clog canister
- Light in weight so you can work for hours without any stress
- A bit pricey
- Poor warranty and customer service by the brand
- The plastic tends to burn when used in high temperature
Black and Decker’s battery operated cordless vacuum cleaner is a portable choice for frequent travellers or those who often change their houses. With a long life and no memory effect, its lithium-ion battery can hold a charge for 18 months and if you keep it on a charge, it automatically powers off from charging when full. It features a rotating slim nozzle that easily reaches to tough areas. The nozzle is easy to remove, wash and reuse. The cyclonic filtration technology allows all the dust, hair and particles to filter in the bagless dirt bowl, so every time you vacuum, you can witness the powerful work this mini can perform.
- Uses less energy than other vacuum cleaners
- Superpower for all kinds of cleaning and dusting
- A reasonable daily use machine
- Unlike other vacuum cleaners, you can’t hang this on the wall
- For good suction, you need to clean the dirt bowl before every use
- Some users complain that the charging capacity is a false claim.
5. eufy HomeVac Lightweight Cordless Upright-Style Vacuum Cleaner, 28.8V 2200 mAh Li-ion Battery Powered Rechargeable Bagless Stick and Vacuum with Wall Mount
HomeVac is a basic vacuum machine at a cheap price. It doesn’t offer versatility or variable functions like other, large and expensive machines but it does its primary job very efficiently. It is packed with powerful 2200mAh batteries that give high voltage powerful suction for up to 50 minutes.
We call HomeVac the go-anywhere vacuum due to its lightweight design and manoeuvrable swivel head that can reach places where no ordinary vacuum can. There is a large capacity double dust filter that takes in all the dust and debris and easily detaches for emptying leaving no traces of dirt behind. More than a stick vacuum, HomeVac is an upright vacuum which can be wall-mounted or placed in any corner of the house.
- No tangles of cords
- Works well on carpets, tiles and wood floors
- Battery life is good and can easily 2-3 rooms in one charging
- Easy to dump dirt mechanism
- Hard wall mounting system
- It doesn’t lay flat under the bed or sofa, but stands tall
- Not suitable for tough cleaning
6. Robot Vacuums
You can also look at a technology solution with the various robot vacuums available on the market. They provide a small footprint easy cleaning solution that might work well for your apartment.
The above described vacuum cleaners are some great options if your living smaller spaces, have children, pets and require regular cleaning. If you are fussy about detailed cleaning, we recommend Shark Rocket that comes with customized attachments. If you aren’t willing to spend much on a vacuum, then HomeVac is a very reasonable choice and does the needful. If you are a small family that moves frequently, the Black and Decker cordless vacuum might be a great option.