Carpets are textile floor coverings that usually consist of an upper layer of pile attached to a backing. Traditionally, carpets are made from wool, but since the 20th century, synthetic fibers started to be used in making them such as nylon, polyester, or polypropylene because they are less expensive compared to wool. With these, there are now many different types of carpets available.
Carpets are used in homes for many reasons. They can be used to insulate a person’s feet from a cold tile or concrete floor, and they can also be used to make a room more comfortable as a place to sit on the floor, especially when there are children around. Aside from that, carpets can also be used to reduce sound from walking and as well as to add decoration or color to any room.
Today, we are going to give you information about the different types of carpet you can find. This way, you will be able to know which type will best suit your home or space if ever you are aiming to have carpeted floors.
The Different Types of Carpet
Carpets are made by looping yarn style material through a backing and then creating a specific pile on the other side. There are two main types of carpet which are the loop pile and cut pile. Let us know more about these types and the different carpet options under each type.
Loop Pile Carpets
Loop pile carpets are made from uncut loops of yarn which are available either flat or textured. Most of these carpets are long lasting and will be able to complement the style of your home. Here are the different types of loop pile carpets.
This is the most common type of carpet among the loop pile options. The fibers in this type of carpet are bent into a series of loops. It is a durable type of carpet that resists stains. However, it does not have as much cushioning compared to other options. Berber carpets have short loops and it is a dense choice that offers a smooth tone. This type of carpet is strong and will not come apart quickly.
This type of carpet uses short loops and everything is carefully measured to where the loops are of the same length. This carpet is a little stiffer compared to other options but it is perfect for areas where large amounts of traffic can come into play. The loops of this carpet type are made to be as symmetrical as possible. It means that you will have an organized setup for the carpet without being too rough.
This type of carpet has a more appealing design because it offers a series of visual flourishes. The top of the loops is varied by height. However, this type is different from a patterned carpet because the details are not as noticeable as you might think, but it can still make a difference when you want to add style to your space.
Cut Pile Carpets
Cut pile carpets, on the other hand, are those that are sheared, exposing the ends of the carpet fiber. This type has different lengths and thicknesses. Cut pile carpets are the most popular styles of carpets we can see today and they are softer and smoother to touch compared to loop pile carpets. Here are the different types of cut pile carpets.
This type of carpet has fiber ends that are cut as evenly as possible. The fibers are packed tightly together in a Saxony arrangement which creates a smoother appearance. These fibers are also about half an inch high. Saxony carpets are also known as plush carpets because they are soft and has luxurious feels. However, you need to keep this type of carpet from something sharp because its fibers can tear up quickly.
Textured carpets are also another cut pile choice. It is made of yarn that is twisted and then cut. This type of carpet is soft and its surface is twisted enough to create a more casual appearance. Its twists are tight enough, resisting stains and making it easy to be cleaned. Compared to a Saxony carpet, the fibers of this type bend a little faster but it can add a nice tone as well to any room.
This type of carpet uses short fibers that can curl in many directions. It has a sturdy look and it can hide footprints as well but it is not made with heavy foot traffic in mind because too many footsteps can cause excess fatigue on this type of carpet. Frieze carpets have informal styles and they are often referred to as shag pile carpets. If you want an attractive carpet that can add a sense of luxury in your home, this is a great choice. However, you need to be careful with handling items around this carpet because it is tough to clean if you spill anything on it.
Carpets with a pattern arrangement use a mix of cut and looped yarn spots. The parts where the yarn is looped and where it is cut can be planned out before making the carpet. This type of carpet is designed to establish a specific pattern and is usually used as a decorative piece in a room.
Different Types of Carpet Materials
Aside from the different types of carpet styles, there are also different types of carpet materials you can choose from and here are some of them.
- Nylon: This is a very popular material when it comes to carpets. It’s because nylon is strong, it can stay in shape for years, and it can also resist soil. However, this carpet material can produce static electricity if you are rough on it.
- Olefin: This material is a polypropylene compound and it’s originally used in outdoor situations because it is good in resisting moisture. In the present time, this material is being used in indoor situations, such as in making carpets because it also offers a wool-like texture and it is really strong. This is a great-looking carpet material, but it should be dyed first so that it will look strong. The only downside of this carpet materials is when it’s exposed to the sun’s rays, its appearance can change.
- Polyester: This is a prominent synthetic carpet material because it is able to resist stains. It also resists moisture, making it very easy to clean. However, if you do not maintain polyester carpets well enough, it could clump up into piles.
- Acrylic: This carpet material is made with a wool-like body and it can resist most stains and as well as static. It also does not fade as much compared to other carpet materials.
- Wool: This is a very appealing carpet material because it features a series of carefully woven fibers which can resist dirt. The only problem is that wool carpets are expensive because of how sturdy and durable their surfaces are.
- Triexta: This is another synthetic carpet material and it is a popular choice, especially in homes with kids and pets. It’s because the fibers of this carpet material are strong and are not likely to tear apart compared to other options. It can cost quite a lot of money but it is worth it.
These are the different types of carpet styles and carpet materials you can find in the market. We hope the information we shared will be able to help you decide which type of carpet will best suit your home or space.